Sunday, September 6, 2015

Introduction

Hello, my name is Lukas and I’m 16 years old. I’m in grade 11 and study at Raha International School. I have several hobbies and interests, which include road biking, football, tennis, skiing and many more. I particularly enjoy the subject History in school, as learning things such as how wars started and how people lived in the past greatly interest me. In this year of school, my goals are to get good grades, staying organised, and on top of my schoolwork, while participating in some sort of sports team. Once I am done with school, I plan to take a gap year before going to university in order to travel the world and see many different places. Language has always played a big part in my life as I’ve been moving countries roughly every 2-3 years ever since I was 9 months old. Due to this, I was exposed to many different languages such as Spanish, German, English, Arabic and Thai. I believe that it is important to study language so that you are able to communicate with everyone both verbally and in written form. Sometimes, language barriers can make one feel excluded, especially if many of your friends are locals and speak their own language between them, which you might not understand. This was the case in Thailand, where sometimes they would start to speak Thai amongst themselves, which I did not understand. This makes people feel excluded, as they do not understand anything due to the language barrier. Due to this, I believe that it is important to study languages so that the language barrier doesn't exist. 



6 comments:

  1. Good post. Could you explain how this image best represents you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative first blog post, Lukas. I totally agree with your statement about exclusion from groups because of a language barrier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem like an adventurous guy, and seemed to manage balance within your life. I admire that. I have never moved, so I found it interesting to read what you have to say about experiencing new cultures and languages when arriving at a new country. And having to adapt to the guidelines of a new society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! moving! I can see someone else who knows what it's like to constantly move around. there's good and bad to constantly changing your environment, but at the end of the day, the experiences make up for it. It always sucks when you're not included in a conversation and I agree that making language barriers a thing of the past is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Lukas! What an introduction; I learnt a lot about you as a person, as well as your ambitions in the future. I love this part of your blog post "language barriers can make one feel excluded" and I completely agree! It is so ironic how the thing that can bring people from all around the world together (language), can be the same thing that draws us apart!
    Looking forward to your future blog posts Scroth!

    ReplyDelete